Sunday, April 10, 2011

That's the Good Stuff

Here is the story of the blog’s name. It comes from a Western movie that I grew up watching and that has, apparently, had a sizeable impact on my unconscious mind. Directed by Lawrence Kasdan, “Silverado” is a classic hero story: four down-and-out cowboys become friends and save a small town from a family of greedy, cow-rustling baddies.

It might be a good time to mention that, not only did I spend my formative years among working cattle ranchers 45 minutes from anywhere, but some of my ancestors arrived on the West Coast as early as the 1840s -- this sort of story is literally in my blood. It’s cheesy and idealistic, but that is the myth of the Great American West, and I love it.

There’s a scene in which Paden, new in town and lover of a good saloon (played by Kevin Kline), talks with Stella, who runs the place (the inimitable Linda Hunt). Paden picks up an unmarked bottle and asks, “What’s this?”
            “That’s the good stuff.”
            “Yeah? How good?” He pours out two glasses and they raise a toast. “Here’s to the good stuff,” he says.
            “May it last a long time.”

I’ll toast to that. Upcoming good stuff on this blog will include: a trip to Rusack Vinyards to see what the winemaker’s up to this time of year, a whirlwind tour of 12 wineries in Santa Barbara County, some thoughts about California native plants, and soon, I hope, a visit to Watkins Cattle Company, where grass-fed beef is raised just a few miles from my home.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment