Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Kale Chips to the Rescue!

As I mentioned last time, I have a pretty limited repertoire when it comes to cooking greens. I had never even heard of kale until I joined a CSA about four years ago. As I was picking up my box, wondering what in the world to do with it all, I overheard some other members talking about kale chips.

Kale chips? That either sounds very weird to you, or, you've been eating them for years. I've come to believe they are a regular standby for a lot of CSA members. Making chips reduces a large, unwieldy bunch of kale into a pile of delectable snacks that is easily consumable, for better or worse, in one sitting.

You'll find a variety of recipes online for kale chips, ranging from cooking them really hot for 15 minutes, to baking at a low temperature for over an hour and a half. I tried a middle-of-the-road recipes with my kale this week, and I think I got some middle-of-the-road results:

1 bunch dinosaur kale, stemmed and cut into pieces
1 T olive oil
Splash of apple cider vinegar
A few twists if salt from a grinder
Turn oven to 250. Toss all the ingredients in a bowl, and spread the kale thinly over two baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes or until they're crispy but not burnt!

Mine got a little more done than they should have - I think I'll try a slower approach next time - but they are crispy and addicting nonetheless!

Do you have favorite recipes or ways to eat kale or other greens? I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. These look tasty! Our favorite way to eat kale chips around these parts is stir-fried with a smidge of olive oil and a scoop of sun-dried tomatoes, or with coconut oil and a bit of honey. Num num nummmm.

    ReplyDelete