Wednesday, June 26, 2013

California Adventures: National Parks, Beaches, and Mind Blowing Farmers Markets


There is a Disney theme park called California Adventure, which is very fun and feeds my immoderate pride in my state, but it’s like candy compared to the real meal of exploring the land. I’ve been on a few adventures with my family this month, so here’s a quick post to share some of the good stuff:

Yosemite

Our country’s first National Park is, to me, the genuine “happiest place on earth.” Since before she was born, I’ve been waiting to take my daughter there, and it did not disappoint (despite record high temperatures).

Here are a few views from Glacier Point, looking down on Yosemite Valley. Nowadays the overhanging rock (left) is protected  with guard rails, for obvious reasons, but you can find a lot of photos of intrepid Americans like Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir standing atop it, 3,200 feet above the valley floor.


You can hear Vernal Falls from this distance, spilling hugely over its cliff.
Tiny toddler, on the grass behind the Ahwahnee Hotel.


Meeting John Muir himself, his scrappy frame immortalized in bronze in front of a fake backdrop.


The Beach

There are a lot here, but these photos happen to be at Pismo Beach, famous for clams and "shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque." Also for very deep beaches with such soft sand (except for the sand crabs), salt water taffy, Splash Cafe clam chowder, and being home-away-from-home for San Joaquin Valley dwellers.


Farmers Market: Avila Valley Barn

Just north of Pismo is a little town called Avila, very tiny but with a wealth of local food culture. My mother had told me about Avila Valley Barn before, but I was unprepared for the all-out gratuitous food splendor:
                       

 










A picture is worth a thousand words, and these photos say: If you ever get the chance to visit this place, do it!

Whatever you are doing this summer, I hope it is full of delight. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment